1. What is your full name?
----- Emmalee Lucille Selby
2. Date of birth? How old are you?
----- The fourteenth of October, 1990 - I'm twenty-one
3. What is your birth sign?
----- I'm a Libra. The scales. I think it sort of fits.
4. What’s your earliest memory?
----- There was this wall at the bottom of my grandparents' garden; I can remember walking along it and falling off it into this sort of bramble bush
5. Describe yourself in five words.
----- Idealistic, imaginative, trusting, cautious, reflective
6. Describe your accent.
------ It's just a sort of newsreader-accent... that is, you can't really tell where I'm from. My mum's Scottish, but I grew up in Reading, so I didn't inherit her accent, which is kind of a shame. I love the Scottish accent.
7. Who in your life are you closest to?
----- Er... I'd say probably my friend Bea, who I've known since we were about twelve years old
8. What phrase do you use the most?
----- "If it's meant to be, it'll be". It's a bit of a cliche... well, ok, a lot of a cliche, but it's true. It's a phrase I picked up from my Grandma.
9. Which item of clothing/accessory do you wear the most?
----- My hand-knitted jumper. I didn't knit it; Bea did. It's all kinds of great colours...purples and blues and greens, and it's essentially the most comfortable thing ever
10. What is your favourite book?
----- "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll. Or maybe "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. I can't decide.
11. It is nine o’clock on an average Monday morning. Where are you; what are you doing?
----- Assuming I'm not running late, which does seem to happen quite a lot, then I should be walking into a lecture at about that time
12. It is eleven o’clock on an average Friday night. Where are you; what are you doing?
----- I'm at the open mic night at The Whistle. Probably I've already played - I prefer to go up earlier in the evening - so I'm sitting with a couple of my uni friends, having a drink
13. Of which of your talents are you most proud?
----- I can play the piano, the guitar, the ukulele and the flute. I know there are better musicians out there than me, but I still like to think that's fairly impressive
14. Which of your possessions have you had the longest?
----- A ragdoll named Penelope. I used to take her everywhere when I was a kid. Now she sits on one of my shelves looking all threadbare. *laughs* She's my audience when I'm trying out a new song
15. Name three objects that are in your bedroom.
----- A rug shaped like a Russian doll, an incense-burner with a pattern of flowers etched into it, and Fred, my uke
16. If you were given an unlimited supply of money, what would be the first thing you would do with it?
----- I'd give some of it to my family and friends. Then I'd go to Australia, because I've always wanted to go, and I'd buy a grand piano.
17. Describe your current home.
----- I live in a flat-share in Greenwich, with three other students. It's kind of old and funny-smelling, but it's the best we could afford
18. What is your favourite name?
----- Juno or Celeste for a girl; Matteo for a boy
19. How about your favourite colour?
----- sky blue, or maybe mauve. Or maybe that sort of dark pinkish-red colour that the walls of my room back home are painted in.
20. Favourite room in your home?
----- I don't have a favourite room in my flat. My favourite room back at home is my bedroom; I got the attic room, and I redecorated it myself when I was sixteen
21. Favourite food?
----- Raspberries. Or lemon cake.
22. Favourite drink?
----- There's a place at the end of my road that does the most amazing cafe frappes
23. Favourite fabric?
----- silk or chiffon. I really like those floaty sorts of fabrics.
24. Favourite hairstyle?
----- My own, which I recently dyed dark plum and got cut into a pixie-crop. I'm thinking of dying it a kind of dark blue colour, next time.
25. Favourite time of day?
----- Early afternoon, when the sun's at its highest in the sky
26. Favourite sort of weather?
----- Summer weather - I like it when it's really hot, especially if I'm at home away from all the bustle of London, which can make it really stifling sometimes
27. Do you like your handwriting?
----- Yeah, I quite like it. I went to an all girls' school, and they made us practice penmanship, which has kind of paid off
28. Are you superstitious?
----- *laughs* I am a bit. Everyone always laughs at me for it.
29. How about religious?
----- I'd like the believe there's... something, but I don't know what. I don't think I believe in God.
30. If you are religious, how do you feel about those who aren’t? If you aren’t, how do you feel about those who are?
----- I find different religions and cultures really fascinating. It's one of the reasons I like living in London - I love how diverse it is. People can get really silly about religion though, sometimes.
31. Do you take any sort of medication?
----- I have two different inhalers for my asthma
32. Do you wear makeup/perfume/cologne?
----- I wear make-up every day, but I'm not one of those girls who absolutely cakes themselves in it. I never wear perfume
33. Would you rather have lots of friends who secretly hate you, or no friends at all?
----- Oh, that's really difficult. None at all, I think.
34. Name three people you admire.
------ Jane Austen, Emmeline Pankhurst and Kate Bush
35. Name three things that cross your mind a lot.
------ I suppose music counts; I've always got a song stuck in my head. Another thing would be... just the past, in general, I think. You know. I think a lot about things that have happened, not always in a bad way, just... wondering... Ok, and one last thing... I think a lot about what I believe in. I wish I knew.
36. What is your most unusual trait?
----- I swear I'm just a bit psychic. I can tell when something bad's going to happen. I had an awful feeling the day It happened
37. What is your strangest habit?
----- I have to have all the windows, doors and curtains closed before I go to bed, even just the doors inside the house. It's stupid, but I'm scared of something getting in at me
38. Do you swear?
----- A bit. I suppose most people do.
39. Do you smoke?
----- No; I can't stand smoking
40. Do you drink?
----- I drink frequently, but I hardly ever actually get drunk
41. What would others cite as your most irritating habit?
----- I don't know... I'd kind of like to think I don't have any really irritating ones. I talk really loud and really fast when I'm excited - I guess that could be really annoying at times
42. If you could change one thing about your appearance, what would it be?
----- I'd have more curves. I look like a boy.
43. How about if you could change one thing about your past?
----- I wouldn't have been such an obnoxious brat as a kid. Dad always says that I "didn't help matters" with him and Mum, so I have this idea that maybe I'm kind of partly responsible for them splitting up. Which is childish, I know, but...
44. If you could change one thing about your life at the moment?
----- I'd have made It not happen. Then Mark - he's my stepbrother - would still be able to see, and Ewan and I would still be together
45. If you could change one thing about the rest of the world?
----- I'd get rid of discrimination
46. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
----- I'm playing my first paid gig in Hampstead next week - you should come along
SOPHIE: BtN's resident whimsical insomniac fairytale-junkie!
“Hope is the thing with feathers"