||Names you're surprised aren't more popular
||Lily (Authenticated as Destry)
||June 8, 2012 at 10:27:26 PM
Are there any names you think should be way more common right now because they fit current trends? Why do you think aren't they more common? And why do you think should they be more common? The others can comment on your names and help you figure out the reasons why the name isn't more common. You can do it for 2012 or any other year.
You can also list names that are common, but you don't get why.
----Names I'm surprised aren't more popular----
----Briony and Bryony - I'm surprised these never made the top 1000. They are plant names, which are common right now (Ivy is rising and so are other botanical names). Their sound is quite close to that of Brittany, Briana and Brooke. Also they are kind of similar to names like Emily and Avery. The rhythym is very similar, in my opinion. I'm surprised this isn't common now but especially surprised it wasn't common in the 90s. I think it fit in well with 90s trends. I guess it's not common because people don't know about it. But there's 'Atonement' and one of the main characters in named Briony. Also the movie was a huge success. Ideas?
----Estella - this is close to popular Stella, but more elegant, yet not as dated and old fashioned as Estelle. It made the top 1000 shortly in 2010 but left it in 2011. I understand that Stella isn't quite such a mouthful but I thought Estella would at least make the top 500 or something. It should be well known too, it has been used quite a bit in literature. Maybe Estella ('Great Expectations') is keeping people from using it? I actually kind of liked her even though her story was kind of sad.
----Keira and Kira, Kyra - I expected these to be in the top 100 right now, or at least the most common variant - Keira. Keira Knightley drew attention to it and it fits in with current trends. I pronounce Kyra differently, but it also fits in with the Kayla, Kylie, Kyla trend.
----Emerson - sounds like a mixture of Emily and Madison so I thought it would get quite common. Maybe people are bored of the sounds?
----Belle - hmmm I thought it would at least have entered the top 1000 in 2010, when Bella and Isabella were at the height of their popularity. I guess it's too simple?
----Mikaela - I just think it looks so much better than the way more popular Mikayla and Makayla so I don't get why this isn't used more.
----Hayley - not the name itself but this spelling. It never made the top 100 in the US. I just think it's weird because Hayley, in my opinion, looks so much better than Hailey and Haley.
----Caitlin - again, I don't get why Kaitlyn is in the top 100 but Caitlin never entered the top 50. It looks so much better.
I guess with the spellings it's just personal preference, I'm not wondering about them as much as about why Briony isn't in the top 1000.
----Names I'm surprised are popular:----
----Abigail - just don't find it very appealing. I guess it's the nickname Abby?
----Jacob - same as Abigail. I guess it's because of Jake?
This message was edited by the author on June 9, 2012 at 1:32:34 AM
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Lily Jun 8 2012, 10:27:26 PM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - gigibee Jun 10 2012, 5:32:56 PM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Alcyone Jun 10 2012, 2:26:34 PM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Ismene Jun 9 2012, 8:33:36 PM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Polyxena Jun 9 2012, 12:28:33 PM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - WCSAngel Jun 9 2012, 11:47:23 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Just Jonquil Jun 9 2012, 10:07:41 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - turquoise Jun 9 2012, 9:31:10 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Rose-Berry Jun 9 2012, 7:22:53 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Billina Jun 9 2012, 5:53:17 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - CosimaCH Jun 9 2012, 2:44:26 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - Teacups Jun 9 2012, 1:20:07 AM
- Re: Names you're surprised aren't more popular - PantheraVirgo Jun 8 2012, 11:14:27 PM