||Re: Thoughts on...
||queenv (guest, 220.127.116.11)
||June 26, 2012 at 10:27:45 AM
||Re: Thoughts on... by New_Chloe
Purists don't consider Jenny for Jennifer or Rob for Robert or Meg for Margaret to be nicknames, although that's how they are referred to here and that's what most people think of them to be. Purists consider them to be pet forms. A nickname, to a purist, is a name that is used which is totally unrelated to the given name.
For instance, my ex-SO's name is Kenneth, but he's always called Buster. Ken would be a pet form. Buster is a nickname. Another example: My father's name was Joseph but he was always called Bud. Joe would have been a pet form. Bud is a nickname.
So, yes, guru could have an Ada with the nickname Heidi. It would be a nickname, not a pet form. My father had no trouble being a Joseph but called Bud.
I told guru it was a dumb idea because he had irritated me by asking for opinions and then arguing with them, and I thought he was talking down to people, so sorry guru, I've changed my mind and think you should go ahead and have an Ada nn Heidi if that's what you want.
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- Thoughts on... - guru Jun 25 2012, 7:09:11 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - New_Chloe Jun 26 2012, 10:11:00 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - queenv Jun 26 2012, 10:27:45 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - Lily Jun 25 2012, 1:19:21 PM
- Re: Thoughts on... - kudriashkajo Jun 25 2012, 12:02:13 PM
- I don't think it would work. - vigdis Jun 25 2012, 11:50:46 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - humblebee Jun 25 2012, 10:16:16 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - Ismene Jun 25 2012, 10:15:42 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - gail Jun 25 2012, 10:02:38 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - mirfak Jun 25 2012, 9:48:40 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - queenv Jun 25 2012, 8:40:02 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - Ninor Jun 25 2012, 8:22:25 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - Billina Jun 25 2012, 7:27:55 AM
- Re: Thoughts on... - RoxStar Jun 25 2012, 7:25:48 AM