|Subject:||Re: Not all of the Erinyes were female,|
|Author:||Nanaea (Authenticated as Nanaea)|
|Date:||February 9, 2002 at 8:17:54 PM|
|Reply to:||Not all of the Erinyes were female, by Silver|
**** Well now that’s interesting. I was fairly certain that Alecto was female. Which source are you using, Silver?
1) ...From what I remember Vulcan in roman mythology is basically Hephaestus in Greek Mythology? Right?
2) Who did Apollo marry/ have an affair with to have his daughter Sryope, who married Aeneas.
**** Darned if I know. Never heard of a Sryope.
3) Who did Aphrodite marry/ have an affiar with to have her son Aeneas.
4) Does anyone know who Thalia's mother is. Thalia is the daughter of the Erinyes Alecto.
**** The most well-known Thalia was one of the Muses -- the daughters of Mnemosyne and Zeus. She was the Muse of comedy.
5) Who is Pysche, besides wife of Eros? Did they have children?
**** Psyche started out as a mortal princess, who was later made immortal by Zeus when he granted Eros permission to marry her. She had a daughter by Eros named Volupta (meaning “pleasure”).
6) Aphrodite married Hephaestus right? Did they have children?
**** Yes, Zeus married Aphrodite off to Hephaestus, but Aphrodite had numerous extramarital affairs and children by other gods – most notably Ares. I don’t believe she had any children by Hephaestus.
7) What were Aphrodite's other affairs? Did they produce children? (excluding the 7 Sirens)
By Ares, Aphrodite gave birth to Phobos, Deimos, Anteros, and Harmonia. By Dionysus, she was said to have given birth to Priapus (Pavlos’ patron god!) and Hymen. Some say that it was by Adonis that she had Priapus. By Hermes she gave birth to Hermaphroditus.
8) Who was the father of the 7 Sirens, Aphrodite being the mother. He was a mortal
**** Actually, my sources say that the Sirens (which varied in number) were the daughters of Achelous by Sterope, Gaea, or one of the Muses.
9) Did Poseidon have Triton all by himself? bcz i know that did happen...
**** I believe that Poseidon’s wife, Amphitrite, gave birth to Triton.
10) How was the Erinyes created by Uranus, same sort of deal as with Aphrodite... by... severed... body parts...?
**** Their mother, Gaea, conceived them from the drops of blood that penetrated her from the severed genitals of Uranus.
11) Who was Pyrha, wife of Deucalion, who was son of Promethus. Who was Deucalion's mother?
**** Pyrrha, wife of Deucalion, was the daughter of Epimetheus and Pandora (the first mortal woman and the one who opened that fateful box of trouble – thus paralleling the biblical story of Eve and the apple). Deucalion’s mother was Clymene, an oceanid.
Ref. source: *Women of Classical Mythology: A Biographical Dictionary* by Robert E. Bell (Oxford University Press, c1991)
|Messages in this thread:|