||Satu (guest, 188.8.131.52)
||February 10, 2004 at 11:33:25 PM
||Straus(s) by A
Yes, Strauss / Strauß is exclusivly used as a surname (at least in Germany).
It derives from the Middle High German word "struz" which has got three different meanings:
1) "Ostrich", which refers to an ostrich feather at a person's helmet or to a person's beautiful eyes.
2) "Opposition, conflict, combat", which refers to an aggressive person.
3) "Shrub, bush", which refers to the place where the person lived.
In modern High German "Strauß" means "ostrich" (and "bouquet", but this hasn't got anything to do with the surname).
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- Straus(s) - A Feb 10 2004, 6:38:08 PM
- Re: Straus(s) - Satu Feb 10 2004, 11:33:25 PM
- Re: Straus(s) - Eirena Feb 10 2004, 8:10:49 PM