||Devonelisa (Authenticated as Devonelisa)
||March 23, 2004 at 10:10:53 AM
||Milla? by Soul
Millà is a Catalan form of Émilien (which means, yes, male) where it is pronounced with a Y sound for the L but that's down to one king's lisp enforcement and if the whole of South America can ignore it so can we ;o) Outside of Spain, the L sound applies. (Even in Spain I found that people understood my South American Spanish just fine and I say all the L's and C isn't TH - no problems)
Also Milla occurs as a short form of Ludmila, etc. in Russian and Polish and has been used as given name from the Slavic element meaning 'grace, favour'.
In Czech Republic it's a short form of Milan/Milana, etc. Dh's uncle in Prague is Milan and his wife calls him 'Mila' though I personally think it works better on the girls.
And yes, in English, it's a short form of Camilla and occasionally of Millicent :o)
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- Milla? - Soul Mar 23 2004, 5:08:11 AM
- Re: Milla? - Sheila Mar 28 2004, 11:20:42 AM
- Thanks! nt - Soul Mar 24 2004, 6:38:57 AM
- Re: Milla? - Caprice Mar 23 2004, 1:58:11 PM
- Re: Milla? - Devonelisa Mar 23 2004, 10:10:53 AM
- Re: Milla? - Lauren Mar 23 2004, 5:32:49 AM