||Re: name update + family trees
||তন্ময় ভ (guest, 22.214.171.124)
||July 29, 2010 at 6:52:40 AM
||name update + family trees by Mike C
Thanks ... the tree is a very useful summary!!!
Does a less well job in Arabic (Salim and Salman are not seen as related, for example, even though they have the same root, cf. Yahweh does link to Jonathan even though it is only related to a part of the root of the latter).
But I am confused about all this: all the Jo- names seem to be linked into a tree of Yahweh, but not all the -el names. Are these different kinds of connections? (i.e. is Jonathan and John more closely related than Michael and Nathaniel, either structurally or conceptually?)
Also, though it does link the obvious Quranic and Biblical connections (Isa is in the obvious place), it does not go so far as proto-semitic in trying to link the ilah of Allah to the eloah series or to the lofty, climbing Ali- series of names, either in Hebrew or in Arabic. That is less of a problem, because the etymological analysis does need to stop somewhere; and, may be an onomastics board is not a good place to debate the Nostratic hypothesis :-) But, for people like me who do not know the semitic languages, it would have helped to draw out the Arabic-Hebrew connections.
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- name update + family trees - Mike C Jul 27 2010, 12:35:10 PM
- This... - vigdis Jul 29 2010, 6:45:27 PM
- Re: name update + family trees - entrophy Jul 29 2010, 5:01:17 PM
- Re: name update + family trees - Flare En Kuldes Jul 29 2010, 12:15:29 PM
- Re: name update + family trees - Mike C Jul 29 2010, 11:49:31 AM
- Re: name update + family trees - তন্ময় ভ Jul 29 2010, 6:52:40 AM
- Re: name update + family trees - JHK Jul 28 2010, 5:07:33 AM
- Re: name update + family trees - Sofia Jul 28 2010, 4:41:24 AM
- Re: name update + family trees - Lumia Jul 28 2010, 3:53:17 AM
- Re: name update + family trees - Emily Jul 27 2010, 1:28:11 PM
- Wow! - Llewella Jul 27 2010, 1:05:07 PM