Latest Comments Added

EMMA  added 10/16/2017, 2:13:46 PM by penny-ashe
there are wayyyyy too many comments on this XD

I want to name my daughter Emma, but I´d rather go for Emily. (Emma as a nickname)

I love how easy it is to say, yet I´m not too keen on names with only one syllable :/

Emma is cute, yet way too unoriginal. (I do love Emma Watson and Emma Stone)
penny-ashe  10/16/2017

ANTONIA  added 10/16/2017, 2:10:40 PM by Anonymous User
Where I live it´s quite generic.
I know a girl named Antonia.
She´s rude and slutty.
She got three tattoos when she was a kid and she hooked up with older guys.
She ruined my best friend´s relationship with her boyfriend and she gossiped a lot.
When she was barely a teenager (13-14) she got drunk and smoked.
Overall a really cheap and not at all classy.

That´s sad, because I used to love the name, but now it instantly reminds me of her.
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

LILLIAN  added 10/16/2017, 2:05:06 PM by Anonymous User
I go to high-school with this girl named Lillian.
She was the first Lillian I ever met, yet she ruined the name for me.
She was the meanest, pettiest, rudest, most violent and phony girl I ever met. She bullied everyone in school and played the victim. She ruined my best friend´s birthday and ruined my relationship with my old friends (and my ex).

Every time I think of the name Lillian I feel a sour taste in my mouth, It irritates me. It reminds me of all the stress she put in my life.

Overall, Lillian was really mean and selfish. She would always complain about her siblings and hurt them. She backstabbed me and my two best friends too many times.

Also, she´d get PHYSICALLY agressive when you called her by her full name (Lillian),she would only respond to her nickname "Lilly" (Yet nobody called her Lily because she was so annoying that people would treat her like a stranger) (since nicknames are usually used to call people you´re close to).

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware that my experience with this girl named Lillian doesn´t mean it will be the same with everyone, but i´m sharing my own personal opinion/experience.
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

EMELIE  added 10/16/2017, 1:57:54 PM by mairinn
I love this name. I li.e Emily as well, I like it a lot, but it's a bit overlooked, even though here in Poland it's not used, so I can imagine how overlooked it might be for some people in english-speaking countries. Emelie is much more original for me and is a very sweet, gentle name. When I think of this name I see a calm person, introverted, down-to-earth, but also who likes to dream, a bit of a loner, artsy creature, especially very musical, lover of beauty, very sensitive, vulnerable and enigmatic lady. She's medium high, slim, has long, black hair, likes dark colours, has blue eyes and pale complexion, may have a little Gothic, but also elegant and refined style, she's very girly.
mairinn  10/16/2017

PENELOPE  added 10/16/2017, 1:56:39 PM by Anonymous User
I believe it´s awesome.
I think it´s the perfect combination of sexy and cute.
Also, there are so many nickname options, it´s the best!
My friends call me Penny, and although I love the nickname, I wish my friends would use all the nicknames!(I just believe there are so many options that it´s worth giving them all a try!)

Everything from the name´s history, to the pronounciation, to the spelling of it is simply beautiful, the only downside is the Kardashians had to use it, *sigh*. Since my name is also Penelope, I would feel proud of having a "unique" name (since everyone else had names like Sophie, Bella, Hannah, etc...) DON´T get me wrong, those are beautiful names, yet more generic. Therefore, I´d feel special.
With the Kardashian´s "class" it really ruined the name for me. Kourtney said she picked the name because "it just came to her mind". She didn´t have any knowledge on the story behind the name, and she just picked it randomly, which (sadly) made the name SUPER popular (Currently in spot #36)

I only feel comforted about being born over a decade before the new Kardashian. That way, I don´t have to worry about it sounding like a copy XD
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

EMELIE  added 10/16/2017, 1:49:29 PM by Anonymous User
Emelie Hollow is a Norwegian singer.
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

SHAWN  added 10/16/2017, 12:37:16 PM by SHStern
The name Shawn is a Unisex and Jewish/Hebrew name.
SHStern  10/16/2017

CLAYTON  added 10/16/2017, 10:46:02 AM by Anonymous User
I have this name and i want to kill myself.
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

CHASE  added 10/16/2017, 9:51:30 AM by blackiesunshine
To everyone saying it sounds like a dog name - Chase is one of the main characters on PAW Patrol.
blackiesunshine  10/16/2017

SKYE  added 10/16/2017, 9:49:57 AM by blackiesunshine
Skye from PAW Patrol?
blackiesunshine  10/16/2017

DARLENE  added 10/16/2017, 9:41:37 AM by dhughe15
My name is Darlenee and i can spell LEARNED with my full first name.. i have a very powerful name.. God scrambled my name in the bible to show how much this world think they know.... God makes no mistakes
dhughe15  10/16/2017

OCTAVIAN  added 10/16/2017, 9:36:00 AM by blackiesunshine
This name has that ring to it that commands respect. Great for firstborn children, even though it's traditionally given to the eighth born in a family. "Tavi" or "Tav" would be good nicknames for a name as strong as this one.
blackiesunshine  10/16/2017

JAMAL  added 10/16/2017, 9:26:10 AM by Jfreedom
I like the name, to be fair it is my name. I am not a drug dealer, that has a lot of kids. Quite the opposite, I was in the ARMY for 12 years, then went on to work at NASA for five years. I currently own an investment firm. Me(I) and my one wife have 2 kids and 7 years of marriage. My name has open more doors for me than it has shut. The only ones that did not like my name did not like my skin, but that does not stop them from wanting me to teach them about investments.
Jfreedom  10/16/2017

GAËL  added 10/16/2017, 8:45:28 AM by Gael Martinez
I think I have pretty decent of this name considering I actually have it, It's generally pronounced
Gah-yell
Gael Martinez  10/16/2017

TANITH  added 10/16/2017, 8:18:43 AM by Anonymous User
I like this name. I really do, but I think it's one of the few girl names out there that save the meaning could fit a boy no problem. I'm one of those people that's fine with gender-neutral names, and even irrelevant meanings, so, while I'm aware of how people respond to that kind of thing it seems like a rare enough name. Maria was unasex, and Allison is now, and Ima name a character Tanith!
Bye, Bye!
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

ASH  added 10/16/2017, 6:29:49 AM by Anonymous User
My name is Ashley and I am female. Personally, I don't like being called "Ash".
― Anonymous User  10/16/2017

ANNA  added 10/16/2017, 1:39:36 AM by HappyCat17
Does this name comes origins in Spanish. That was my mother's name Ana and she was Hispanic.
HappyCat17  10/16/2017

BIANCA  added 10/16/2017, 12:07:24 AM by XironDarkstar
Bianca Kajlich is a actress.
XironDarkstar  10/16/2017

MARINA  added 10/15/2017, 10:33:12 PM by Marina1120
My name is MARINA and I love my name. I've only met one person with my name so far. But I think it's beautiful. I love it and wouldn’t change my name for anything. It’s funny, one person commented that it reminds her of a beautiful woman with long hair. I have really long hair. And I hope I’m beautiful, lol. Loved her comment.
Marina1120  10/15/2017

ANASTASIA  added 10/15/2017, 9:29:28 PM by RedSoxGirl81
This beautiful name Anastasia is used for the main female character in the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy book series and it’s movie series all of which is created and produced by it’s author E.L. James.
The male lead, Christian Grey, falls for a 21 year old college student whose full name is Anastasia Rose Steele. Also, in both the books and the movies we see Christian, along with her fellow friends & family, call her by her nickname Ana, which she likes to be called instead of her full name Anastasia.
I never noticed this name before I read all 3 books and it happily made me fall in love with this name. It’s old school and traditional while also remaining new and different. Just love this name! Beautiful
RedSoxGirl81  10/15/2017

ADIL  added 10/15/2017, 8:57:56 PM by highexpectasians
Also Uyghur (written as "ئادىل" in Uyghur).
highexpectasians  10/15/2017

BREANN  added 10/15/2017, 7:04:50 PM by Luvbug86
The spelling looks bizarre and incomplete.
Luvbug86  10/15/2017

MAURA (2)  added 10/15/2017, 6:49:19 PM by Anonymous User
My name is Maura, pronounced like Laura with an M. I disliked my name as a child. I was teased “Maura the moron” every day for years. Parents, I would not recommended this name - even though I’m relatively happy with my name now as an adult. The one good thing about my name is that it’s unique, I love being the only “me” in a large group of people.
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

COCO  added 10/15/2017, 6:45:45 PM by mynameisCoco
My name is Coco and I'm proud. I've never ever gotten any of these insults in my life and whoever says Coco is not a real name is rude do whoevers name is Coco. Everyone should be appreciated in every shape or form it doesn't matter.
mynameisCoco  10/15/2017

ILHAM  added 10/15/2017, 6:40:09 PM by highexpectasians
Also Uyghur (written as "ئىلھام" in Uyghur).
highexpectasians  10/15/2017

KENDRICK  added 10/15/2017, 4:02:31 PM by thezenithofnadir
A wrestler named The Brian Kendrick has this as his last name. His real name is also Brian Kendrick.
thezenithofnadir  10/15/2017

LOLITA  added 10/15/2017, 3:59:36 PM by angolmois
In my opinion, the association with Nabokov is overblown. But unfortunately, it has other associations which may not be suitable for a young girl, such as the name Lola, a lollipop or a "lalka" (which is a Slavic name for a doll). Having said that, this may be a good name for a young woman who's not afraid to confront stereotypes.
angolmois  10/15/2017

ROLAND  added 10/15/2017, 3:33:35 PM by Anonymous User
Well,I'm Roland xd
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

BLAKE  added 10/15/2017, 2:17:04 PM by Fray
Wow, there are some pretty salty people here who are down voting any comments about Blake being a girls name as well. I personally like it both as a girls name and a boys name. It's a solid, strong name for either.

If you name enthusiasts haven't noticed, people have been giving their daughters names that have "traditionally" been male for decades. That makes it a unisex name.
Fray  10/15/2017

MABEL  added 10/15/2017, 2:10:47 PM by Anonymous User
I like this name a lot. I find myself liking names beginning with "ma"- Margret, Mabel, Maria, Mariana....
I like how it is short. The only nickname I can think of for this is Bella.
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

ARISTOTLE  added 10/15/2017, 1:41:49 PM by CheshHatter
I guess I am a pet Cat then.....
By the way it is a name it originally means intelligent so (basically saying the child is intelligent not "destined for great things)....
bye,
Aris (totle)
CheshHatter  10/15/2017

JANIE  added 10/15/2017, 1:11:56 PM by Anonymous User
I'm a Janie, by birth certificate. Get asked a lot if it's my real name, so I wandered on here wondering how rare it actually is. Seems to be quite 40s American.
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

ASLAN  added 10/15/2017, 1:02:51 PM by highexpectasians
Pronounced as [ʔasɬaːn] or [aːsɬaːn] (both IPA) in Adyghe/West Circassian.

- https://ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/аслъан (in Russian)
- https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/аслъан (in English; with audio pronunciation)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aslan_Tkhakushinov (in English)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aslan_Tlebzu (in English)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aslan_Dzharimov (in English).
highexpectasians  10/15/2017

ARIS (1)  added 10/15/2017, 11:52:38 AM by Anonymous User
Origin is actually Greek. Means Intelligent. A famous Bearer would be Aristotle. This name IS Aristotle but Shortened. Is Masculine But could be Female. I have only found one female bearer and a handful of males (This Name is not common).
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

KATHERINE  added 10/15/2017, 11:51:30 AM by Anonymous User
In 1654 there was a vampire name Katherine she will survive by human blood only . She died in October,12,2013. She got stabbed in the heart by a wooden stick by humans
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

PATRICIA  added 10/15/2017, 10:00:13 AM by Patra patricia
I am Patricia and I am Soo proud of it, I don't think there's a name that describes me more than my name.soo happy to be young Patricia.
Patra patricia  10/15/2017

MARGARET  added 10/15/2017, 9:49:39 AM by Anonymous User
Interesting that the comments from 12 years ago are more heavily critical; responses seem to be more positive on average as you get to more recent comments. Sound bias in names goes through trends and we've been in a very "vowel happy" period for a while (lots of "Evie's," "Ella's," "Abby's," "Ava's," sort of names). Perhaps stronger consonant sounds are starting to be a little refreshing. I've heard a lot more baby names that seem to hint at that--parents around me have chosen: Gus, Gretchen (x2), Gwendolyn, Agnes, Dolores (although goes by Lola), Magnolia, Dorothy, Arthur and Ruth.

My daughter IS a six (well, almost six) and named Margaret. And called Margaret in full. No one seems bothered by this; if anything, they're usually pleasantly surprised and appreciative because so many people have a beloved grandmother that was Margaret! It seems to"fit" her and her youth just fine, and frankly, these days in a classroom filled with "Axel" and "Pantera" (yes, these are actual names in her class!) 'unusual' is the new norm as far as her contemporaries go. We chose it to honor our own grandmothers that we loved dearly, but we also liked it because:
- it's classic, but not overused these days
- it ages well and won't be an issue professionally
- there's a ton of nicknames that she could choose from if she decides she wants to express her identity differently
- it has a fascinating, cool history

So, yeah--I'm obviously Team Margaret! Not a name for everyone (no name is), but I still think it's a solid choice. If you're thinking about it but can't picture it on a little kid, I'm here to tell you that my little one has it and it complements her well.
― Anonymous User  10/15/2017

ADÈLE  added 10/15/2017, 8:04:15 AM by arrowhead909
This was a common name among 10th-12th century queens and other nobles in present-day France, such as Adela of France (ca 1009-1079) (Latinized version of Adèle de France), mother-in-law of William the Conqueror through her daughter, Matilda of Flanders. Others include Adela/Adèle of Champagne (ca 1140-1206), third wife of King Louis VII, Adèle de Meaux (ca 934-984), wife of Geoffrey Greymantle, Adèle de Vermandois (bef 915-960), wife of Arnulf I of Flanders, and Adèle de Normandie (ca 1067-1137), daughter of William the Conqueror and Matilda of Flanders.
arrowhead909  10/15/2017

HARRIET  added 10/15/2017, 7:50:38 AM by Jossiechris
My grandmother was a Harriet and went by Rhett. She made me promise never to name my child after her. She found her name to be a terrible burden and wouldn't wish it on her future great grandchild. I think she would be astounded by all the compliments on the name today.
Jossiechris  10/15/2017

DORIS  added 10/15/2017, 7:15:06 AM by arrowhead909
Given that Dorian is speculated to have essentially the same meaning, it seems reasonable to include it as a masculine form of Doris.
arrowhead909  10/15/2017

PAULA  added 10/15/2017, 12:43:52 AM by Paula2017
Why would anybody make fun of that name? That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sorry that you have to go through that. Paula is a very beautiful name and no one has the right to pick on you about it.
Paula2017  10/15/2017

PAIGE  added 10/14/2017, 10:16:40 PM by XironDarkstar
I do like Paige, even I hate Sage. I just like the sound of Paige better, and I prefer Paige as a middle name.
XironDarkstar  10/14/2017

SAGE  added 10/14/2017, 10:10:34 PM by XironDarkstar
Sage is another unisex name I don't like along with Hollis, Avery and Jordan.Its boring to me and does not sound very pleasent. I would not name my son a name like Sage, I would name him something stronger and more masculine. I also think its to boring for a girl and not interesting.
XironDarkstar  10/14/2017

HOPE  added 10/14/2017, 9:42:13 PM by Anonymous User
Hope is my middle name. I like the meaning of it (I try to be a hopeful person), but I'm not sure it works as a first name.
― Anonymous User  10/14/2017

ASLANBEK  added 10/14/2017, 7:40:18 PM by highexpectasians
Written as "Аслъэнбэч" in Kabardian (East Circassian) and "Аслъанбэч" in Adyghe (West Circassian). It's actually written as "Аслæнбег" in Ossetian.
highexpectasians  10/14/2017

WILLIAM  added 10/14/2017, 7:38:36 PM by Anonymous User
William is, of course, extremely common, and has been for literally centuries, but it is a good name. There are a lot of possible nicknames, too: Bill, Will, Billy, Liam, etc., so there's a bit of individuality there.
― Anonymous User  10/14/2017

ALETA  added 10/14/2017, 5:46:49 PM by Aleta s
I hate being named Aleta. And yes it is pronounced A lee da. I was born in the early seventies to hippie parents. I have hated my name since first grade. I was a Girl Scout as a kid and every week they' would say everyone line up behind a leader and there was a line behind me. People always tell me I have a beautiful name and I say want to trade!
Aleta s  10/14/2017

JUNIOR  added 10/14/2017, 4:27:39 PM by XICooper
Junior is sometimes further shortened to JR as a given name. I grew up with a boy named JR, and none other than Johnny Cash was born J.R. Cash but changed his name to John when enlisting, as the military would not accept initials as a first name .
XICooper  10/14/2017

ELLIE  added 10/14/2017, 3:44:27 PM by Anonymous User
I love the name Ellie. I don't mind it as a full name, even though I personally just can't imagine an adult woman with this name, but probably just because I don't know any Ellies and it does sound a little bit childish to me as a full name, so if I would use it, I'd just call her something longer and then call her Ellie. I can't say Ellie's not serious as a full name, but just not very my style. I like its oldfashioned feel as a nickname, as a nickname it's a very elegant to me, sweet and cute. I like almost all names with el anywhere in them, maybe even all of them and I could easily use Ellie as a nickname for any of them or maybe even for some names just with L, especially at the beginning. I like it also spelled as Elly, Eli, Elli or maybe something else, but I don't particularly like Ellea/Elea, Ellee/Elee, Elie and, to be honest, I actually hate forms like Elley/Eley/Elleigh/Eleigh or any like these. Just, hmmm, way too modern for me I guess. I'll associate it forevrer with Ellie Goulding (btw I love it as a short form of Elena as in her case), I like her a lot, with Ellie from Jacqueline Wilson's series for girls and with Ellie from Meg Cabot's "Avalon High". When I think of this name I see a little girl, who's a bit spoiled, but not mallicious or anything at all, just very loved by her parents, conscious of her worth, maybe a bit egocentric, but not like always thinking of herself. She can be very sweet, almost angelic, she's generally a balanced and quiet, but not a shy child. She's very sensitive and can be empathetic. She is short, has a bit curly, dark brown hair, I'm not sure what's the colour of her eyes and as a child she's quite fluffy. Then I can also imagine a very smart teenager, very girly, but good at sports as well, not very popular at scfool, but likeable and a good student, fun-loving, although needs some time just on her own, likes drawing, singing, shopping and hanging out with friends. That's just how I see Ellie in general.
― Anonymous User  10/14/2017

TROY  added 10/14/2017, 3:37:58 PM by Anonymous User
If your only issue with the name Troy is the fact that there was a character in High School Musical with this name, that's terrible. That's like saying you can't name your child Gabriella because she's the main female protagonist. My best friend's name is Gabriella and honestly, when I first met her, (I'd never met another Gabriella) my first thought was, "Like the high school musical character?" But no one ever did or would pick on her.
― Anonymous User  10/14/2017