|Using This Reference||Searching||Other Features|
The main feature of this website is a listing of given names and their meanings. Entries are displayed in the following manner:
Not all names have usages, other scripts or pronunciations. The meaning and history is a sentence or short paragraph describing the etymology and source language of the name. It also sometimes gives details about the name's etymological elements, its historical usage, and some of its notable bearers.
In many cases a name is a form of another name. For example: Mike is a short form of Michael. Another example: Varvara is the Russian cognate of Barbara. In these cases the meaning will be listed at the other name, so follow the link provided to go to that other name.
You can initiate a search from the search page. The top of this page has links to pre-constructed searches. The bottom has an advanced search form, which will allow you to search by a number of different criteria. Once you search, you can further refine your search by clicking the "refine" button on the results page.
For those interested, someone has created an OpenSearch plugin for behindthename.com - supported by Firefox 2+, Internet Explorer 7+, etc.
Besides the main name database, there are several other features on this website.
- The most popular names provide lists of the given names used most frequently in many parts of the world.
- The namesakes provide many different lists of famous people, organized by given name.
- The name days provide lists of given names which are associated with the days of the year in many parts of the world.
- The comments are a collection of comments about names left by users of this website.
- The message boards are a good place to ask and answer questions about names.
- The submit-a-name page is the place to add names that are missing from the database.
- By signing up for a completely free user account, you get complete access to the message boards and polls, as well as the ability to create a profile and customized lists of names.
Also, Behind the Surname is a sister site, dealing with surnames instead of given names.