Welcome to Behind the Name's name games message board! This board is for playing name games. If you have a question about names, please go to one of the other message boards.
Top-level messages are arranged in the order they are posted with replies appearing below the original message. Messages that are less than 1 hour old have bright red dates. The colour of the date fades to black as the message ages.
Most users can post and reply to messages on this board without logging in. However some domains are restricted, meaning you might need to sign up for a user account before you can post.
Signing up is easy - all you need to do is fill in your desired username and give a valid email address.
To post a top-level message, click the icon at the top of the page. Fill out your name, the subject of your message, and the text of your message. Click the checkbox if you would like to automatically create links from capitalized names in your message text to names in this site's database.
To post a reply, open the message that you would like to reply to. Press the Respond button and fill out the form that appears.
Editing messages is only available to those who have logged in. To edit your message, open it and then press the Edit button.
HTML allowed on this board:
- type: <B>bold</B> to get bold
- type: <I>italics</I> to get italics
- type: <HR> to get a horizontal line
- type: <SPAN style="...">some text</SPAN> to modify the look of your text
- example: <SPAN style="color:green; font-size:larger">large and green</SPAN> gives large and green
- shortcut 1: <COLOR red>red for example</COLOR> gives red for example
- shortcut 2: <SIZE smaller>small for example</SIZE> gives small for example
- hyperlinks: text like inter.net.url, http://inter.net.url, or firstname.lastname@example.org will be automatically turned into a hyperlink when posted (only registered users)
- images: text like www.net.url/image.jpg or http://www.net.url/image.png will be automatically replaced with the relevant image when posted (only registered users and only if the URL ends in .jpg, .png, .gif or .svg)
- for those familiar with HTML, <CENTER> <MARQUEE> <UL> <OL> <LI> <PRE> and <IMG> tags are also available (only registered users can use the IMG tag)
If you haven't used HTML before, please try it out on the test message board before using it elsewhere!
1. Hateful, malicious or harassing messages and spam are not allowed. New users that start inflammatory topics will be regarded as trolls.
2. Post under only one name.
3. Try to keep debates civil. Everyone has a right to their opinion.
4. Try to make your messages legible. Minimize the netspeak.
5. If you feel someone is breaking the rules, contact this site's administrators. Don't give trolls the attention they crave.
The following users kindly help administer this board: Beautiful Victory, Frozten, mirfak, Randee15 and Tara C
Since August 18, 2004 there have been...
- 802,737 messages posted
- an average of 138.4 messages posted per day
- 757,835 responses in 44,902 threads
- an average of 16.9 responses per thread
- 752,370 messages archived
Frequently Asked Questions
What do the abbreviations found in messages stand for?
- NT stands for No Text. It means that the message is entirely within the subject line, and there is no point in reading the body of the message.
- FN, LN and NN stand for first name, last name and nickname.
- Other abbreviations you might see on the message boards are WDYT (what do you think?), NMS (not my style), CAF (create a family), DH/DW/DS/etc (dear husband, dear wife, dear son, etc) and BtN (Behind the Name, the title of this website).
For other frequently asked questions about names and this site, please see the general FAQ.