Occitan Submitted Names
are used in southern France and parts of Spain and Italy.
Submitted names are contributed by users of this website. The accuracy of these name definitions cannot be guaranteed.
ALAMAN m Ancient Germanic, Gascon (Archaic)
The first element of this name is derived from Gothic alls
"all" or from Gothic alhs
in Old High German) "temple." The second element is derived from man
ALVÈRA f Occitan
Occitan cognate of Elvira
. Sainte Alvère (Senta Alvèra
in Occitan) was a martyr from the Dordogne region in France.
AMIC m Gascon
Gascon form of Amicus
as well as a direct adoption of Gascon amic
AVIT m Croatian, French, Macedonian, Russian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Occitan
Croatian, French, Macedonian, Russian, Serbian, Ukrainian and Occitan form of Avitus
BELINA f Gascon, Italian
Gascon diminutive of Isabèl
. Belina (known as Béline
in French, died 1153) was a Roman Catholic virgin martyr who was canonized by Pope Innocent III in 1203. Due to the saint, this name also saw some usage in Italy... [more]
CALENDAU m Provençal
Provençal masculine name taken from the Latin word kalends
, used of the first day of a month and, in Provence, for Christmas Day. Calendau is the name of hero of Mistral’s poem 'Calendau' (1867).
JAUFRE m Occitan, Arthurian Romance
Variant of Jaufré
. 'Jaufre' is the only surviving Arthurian romance written in Occitan; its main character is equivalent to Sir Griflet
son of Do, a Knight of the Round Table known from other literature.
JUSÈP m Occitan
Local variant of Josèp in use in the Valley of Aran (Occitan speaking valley in Catalonia).
LANDRIC m Ancient Germanic, Occitan
Derived from the Germanic elements land
"land" and rîcja
"powerful, strong, mighty." The second element is also closely related to Celtic rîg
and Gothic reiks
, which all mean "king, ruler."
MAISSA f Provençal
Derived from Latin maxilla
meaning "jaw". The initial Latin word underwent several changes (illa
was removed leaving just max
, the vowel a
, and finally, the x
MAÏUS m Provençal
Meaning unknown. It has been in use in Provence since at least the late nineteenth century.